Monday, 22 June 2009

D-day minus 1 (and 2)

Yesterday was Sunday 21st June 2009.  The longest day of the year.

I was up at 5am to do the 56 mile London to Brighton bike ride.  Hey, I'm massively overweight, but I'm not bed bound!

Did the bike ride, an absolutely brilliant day.  Got sunburnt and knackered, and I took ages to do the ride, but I felt really proud to have done it.  Got the train back from Brighton and got home at about 7.30pm.  And then I have to do some homework.  I needed to weigh and measure  myself for the challenge.

Man, that was hard.  In any group photo I'd always be at the back, so standing there for the world to see wearing a pair of old lycra shorts and a too-small Tshirt was near unbearable.  Still at least it's done and out there.  As it were. 

Saturday, the day-before-the-longest-day, was a whirlwind of activity.  I'd found out that I was in the challenge on Saturday morning, so I had a bit to do to get ready.  Mainly I had to work out what I could eat and what I couldn't, and I had to go shopping to get in the stuff I could eat.  I'm doing this in a house with a non-participating (but highly supportive and very patient and loving) partner, so  I had to do quite a bit of explaining about what's in and what's out.   

Coffee, wine, cheese and bread.  That's what I'm going to miss the most. But I stocked up on some great stuff, some stuff I'm going to try, and some stuff I'm not going to touch with a bargepole.

Back to Sunday, post bike ride, and post weighing and measuring.  I'm standing in my kitchen, looking and feeling like a complete wreck.  I simply can't drink the last half bottle of wine.  I need my wits about me for Monday and I need to make sure I'm fully rehydrated.  For the first time in my life, I pour half a bottle of wine down the sink.  This better work.

No comments:

Post a Comment